The Tavannes Collection
In 1891 a young, talented master watchmaker, Henri-Frederic Sandoz, founded the Tavannes Watch Company in a small Swiss village, Tavannes, in the Jura mountains. Henri-Frederic Sandoz was a real entrepreneur. His visits to American manufacturers inspired him, and he was the first to create machine tools exclusively for the Swiss watch industry. Tavannes became an important Swiss watch company because of his engineering abilities. In half a century, Tavannes built five factories in Switzerland, and became the 4th largest watch manufacturer in the world, having sold over 30 million watches. At this time they employed over 2,000 skilled watchmakers and produced over 4,000 watches a day. In 1943, the company launched its first automatic movement, the caliber 420, with a swinging arm winding in one direction. This movement was fitted into the square cased "Watersport" model, for example. The Tavannes Distributor's network covered the whole world at this time. With over 300 patents obtained for mechanical and automatic timepieces, Tavannes produced movements for most of the famous Swiss brands. Many of these innovations are still used today.
View Our Tavannes products